Thursday, April 21, 2011

A Health Conscious Italian Girl's Dream! Virtually Carb-Free Noodles!!!




I was like a kid in a candy store when I first came across the package of Shirataki Fettuccine Noodles at our local Henry's. WHAT??? Only 20 Calories and 3 Carbs per serving?!? Was this a misprint? Nope, every package was labeled the same. To make matters even better, they were only $1.39 per package. I loaded the cart up with both their Fettuccine and Angel Hair Pasta options.


I am a firm believer that if something is too good to be true, it probably is, so I must admit, I was very nervous to try these virtually carb-free noodles. Nervous became quite the understatement when I first opened the bag and took a whiff of the funkiest smell I have ever smelled in my kitchen (or what the package describes as "Authentic Aroma"). Nonetheless, I followed the instructions and rinsed the noodles...actually, more like soaked the noodles until the smell started to lessen.


After a few minutes of boiling the noodles and preparing my fresh veggie, turkey meat and roasted tomato sauce, I had a plate that looked much like the delicious homemade spaghetti I grew up on...but with 80% less carbs and calories. I dug in and instantly regained the excitement I had back when I was at Henry's finding these noodles for the first time. I could now eat my favorite pasta dish frequently without going into a major carb-coma!!! I have even cooked these for my fiance who enjoys his manly-man food and he too was pleasantly surprised!























No comments:

Post a Comment