Friday, October 15, 2010

Hot Yoga~My New Caffeine!





Forget coffee, Hot Yoga is my new caffeine fix!!


Until about a year ago, the smell or thought of coffee was my motivation to avoid the snooze button and get my butt out of bed. But shortly after being introduced to hot yoga, I had a new addiction that got me up early...even on the weekends.

I admit, I use to think yoga was nothing but pure stretching and relaxing. I remember telling friends, if I tried a yoga class, I would probably fall asleep. To me, a good workout equalled a good sweat ~ running, turbo kick-boxing, lifting weights and getting my heart rate way up. Little did I know...yoga, especially hot yoga, is a great way to get your heart pounding and makes you sweat like no other!

It was my friend Laura who introduced me to my first yoga experience...Bikram Yoga. I was dealing with an injury and unable to run or attend my weekly kickboxing classes. I tried everything from herbal remedies and acupuncture to chiropractors and hot packs, but nothing seemed to be working for me. The worst part of my injury was my major cardio withdrawals!! It was killing me to see people running outside and driving my the gym almost put me into tears (to be completely honest...I am sure I had several good cries/ melt downs over it)! Laura told me that hot yoga was an amazing workout but without the strain of running and best yet, it might get my leg back to normal. I was in!

To say I was proven wrong about judging yoga before I ever tried it, is definitely an understatement. WOW! Bikram Yoga was an incredible workout! It was 1.5 hours of challenging my body in 100-110 degree room. Leaving the class, I felt completely renewed. After about 2-3 months of consistent attendance to classes, my leg was back to normal and I was back to my regular workout regimen. In addition to feeling like new, my flexibility was at a whole new level.


Although Bikram Yoga was an intense and satisfying workout, I am always open to new practices and quickly after being introduced to CorePower Yoga, I was hooked. It was love at first class. Some of the personal cons, I found with the Bikram practice: the harshness of some of the instructors, breakouts on my face from the amount of sweat that comes with an 1.5 hour, 110 degree class and the feeling of exhaustion was nowhere to be found at CorePower. The studio smelled 110% better, the locker rooms were like the ones you find in nice spas, most of the classes are one hour and the studio is usually between 90-95 degrees (which I find to be perfect...challenging yet not "I'm going to pass out or throw up at any minute" hot) the instructors are supportive, uplifting and guide you with ease.


The combination of a challenging workout with uplifting messages from the instructors make CorePower Yoga a perfect way to start the day. The instructors encourage you to set an intention for your practice. It is one hour of YOU time. Time to put the everyday worries and stresses aside and just focus on your mind, body and spirit. It's really an invigorating, peaceful and energizing experience.

I am not saying I don't need coffee...I still grab my starbucks after class, but I have found a new reason to get out of bed. A reason that makes me feel good, refreshed and relaxed all while getting in a very good sweat!

No comments:

Post a Comment