Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Unusual but Motivational!

A lack of motivation is the number one reason that causes us to stray away from keeping to a dedicated workout schedule. I truly believe that you need to find some type of motivation in order to stick to your workout routine. So I ask myself, what keeps me motivated to wake up early everyday for my morning workouts??? Along with setting milestones, goals and rewards, I have picked up a few unusual motivators along the way. Workout motivation can come in many forms... wanting to look fabulous at an upcoming event, the need to loose "baby weight", training for a race or simply wanting the satisfaction of seeing a lower number on the scale. Below is my personal list of motivators that inspire me to get up, get dressed, and head to the gym and even more importantly motivators that help me stay on that treadmill! These probably aren't the "healthiest" ideas or even normal for that matter, but they work...they get my butt working out on a daily basis!


Short Shorts
When I go for my runs, I wear my short shorts! Why? Because, when I have the desire to cut my run short, I look down and take one look at my "thigh jiggle" and keep going!!! What can be more motivating than looking down to see the reason why I am running in the first place! Likewise, when I am at home alone and doing my Insanity workout DVDs, I put on a sports-bra and the shortest shorts that I own... same effect...not going to whimp out on the workout when I look at the jiggle. (Like I said, neither healthy nor normal...but it works for me!) I have also recently noticed that wearing a sports-bra during my home workouts really helps with keeping my core tight throughout the exercise.

Gossip Magazines or Friends to Gossip With
I can't always rely on my ipod to keep me on the stairmaster for that extra 15 minutes, but indulging in the latest celeb gossip with my US Weekly magazine or getting the juicy gossip about my girlfriend's work drama can definitely keep me occupied and before I know it, I have surpassed my hour goal! Other added bonuses of having a workout buddy: if you are competitive, you certainly don't want to be the first to suggest ending the workout and secondly, you are less likely to skip your gym session when you have plans to meet your bestie!

Milestones
Nothing motivates me more than a big upcoming event. Currently, my motivation is three important weddings this year (one of them being mine?!?!) and with the big day being over 9 months away...I have plenty of time to set a timeline, goals and milestones. Any time you have a "save the date" for an upcoming wedding, hometown visit, vacation with your man, or weekend getaways with old friends you have the opportunity to set a timeline with milestones that will help you get to your goal. Wanting to look and feel good for a special occassion is always a great motivator!!

Rewarding Myself
When I have a date night, birthday bash, wedding, or girls night on the calendar, I have the motivation to intensify that morning workout...knowing later on I will reward myself with an extra glass of wine or two and not have to worry about the calories in the delicious hor dourves. Another way I like to reward myself is with new clothing! When I have noticeably lost a few lbs after consistency with diet and exercise, nothing is better than buying the size small dress instead of the usual medium! When you are working your butt off during the week, you deserve to give yourself a cheat day with no worrying and/or a reward that makes you feel good and happy!















No comments:

Post a Comment