Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Insane enough to try INSANITY!




I recently noticed that I couldn't be in a conversation about workouts and exercise regimens without the mention of P90X. From Facebook posts and day-to-day conversations to great infomercials, P90X seems to be the newest "it" workout! Being the workout feign that I am, I jumped on the Internet and researched the program. Filling my tiny condo living room with the required P90X equipment: dumbbells, pull-up bar and weight bands was less than desirable. Just the thought of working out in front of the television with a yoga mat, exercise equipment and chair or stool made me claustrophobic. If you can relate, you might find Beachbody's Insanity to be a great substitute for the P90X craze.


After a conversation (which initially started about what else but P90X) with a friend's boyfriend who lost 10lbs the first month on the Insanity workout regimen, I ran home and googled "Insanity". From the same company behind P90X, Beachbody, promises the intense workout program will transform your body in 60 days and without any equipment at all! I was sold and a few days later popped in the first of ten Insanity DVDS.

I have successfully completed the first month of strength, power and resistance interval trainings mixed with high-intensity plyometric drills. To clarify my definition of "successfully"- I have diligently followed the assigned daily dvds for the past 30 days; in some cases with the hardcore drills, I am usually lasting a good 45-50 seconds of the 60 minute drills. Thus far, I have noticed more definition in my arms and abs. Unfortunately for all those out there that like to see the results on the scale- I have actually gained 1.5lbs (mostly likely due to muscle gain because my pants are beginning to feel loose which is always a sure sign to great results).

Here is my personal list of pros and cons:

  • PRO: Sean T. and his fit team of six-pack shirtless men and sports-bra wearing women are very motivating.
  • CON: An over-peppy Insanity student, Tanya comes off much more annoying than motivating! I want to throw a dog toy at the TV every single time she opens her mouth or makes an irritating gesture. I guess I have this type of student in every workout class I have taken, so it makes me feel like I am really in a group class!
  • PRO: Easy to follow schedule and convenience of working out in your own home.
  • CON: Lack of motivation from working in a group setting; must be very dedicated and committed to successfully complete this program.
  • PRO: Most daily exercises are only 35-45 minutes!
  • CON: With my A.D.D, I get very bored/distracted with two stretching sessions in one video.
  • PRO: Having a weekly recovery workout and one day off gives me the motivation to push hard on the workout days.
  • CON: I was excited to have a "with music" option, but the music doesn't add much and doesn't do what music is suppose to do in a workout- get me pumped up! I suggest turning Pandora on once you are familiar with the workout.
  • PRO: No equipment needed.
  • CON: Without a trainer on site, you have the risk of making a mistake on form. I have noticed strange pain in my neck and right hand which makes me question my form on all those planks.
  • PRO: Great meal plan with a variety of food suggestions accompany the 10 disc program.
  • PRO: Yes, the drills are intense but you never do one exercise for more than one minute.
  • PRO: When I am finished with the workout, I don't have to get into my car all sweaty to drive home from the gym...I just walk down the hallway, jump in the shower and start my day- huge time saver!

As you can see, my Pros outweigh my Cons...looks like the program is a keeper!

No comments:

Post a Comment